- By Melissa Tavares
- In Horner Blog
- Tags Barn Doors, Cooper Stairworks, Exterior Doors, Farmhouse Style, Interior Doors, Kitchens, Kolbe Windows & Doors, Masonite, Modern Architecture, Phantom Retractable Screens, Stairs, StarMark Cabinetry, TruStile Doors, Velux Skylights, Windows
When executed properly, the modern farmhouse aesthetic perfectly illustrates the synergy that can be achieved by combining classic American architecture with the sleek contemporary accents of urban living. The traditional farmhouse architecture of the early 20th century is characterized by simple craftsman moulding details, industrial fixtures such as gooseneck lamps, and rustic wood textures. Modern interior design is marked by stark black and white color schemes, bold geometric hardware, and wide open lofty floor plans. Modern farmhouse style combines the best of these two genres and has created a new trend in home design that celebrates traditional and contemporary architecture blended with urban industrial decor. Here are 11 of our favorite modern farmhouse looks featuring Horner Millwork products.
1) A Masonite craftsman style door is the perfect way to welcome guests into a modern farmhouse. Shown above is Masonite’s smooth fiberglass recessed panel Heritage series exterior door with 6-lite SDL clear glass. This door combines crisp, clean lines inspired by classic craftsman architecture with the proven durability of fiberglass.
2) This modern farmhouse in Sonoma County, California skillfully combines many of the classic elements of farmhouse exteriors with a new and modern twist. Here, Kolbe contemporary style windows perfectly complement the traditional metal roof, board-and-batten siding, and farmer’s porch typically found on farmhouse exteriors. The remodel of this project focused on embracing the picturesque views of the surrounding wine vineyard and breathtaking landscape.
3) Vaulted ceilings with exposed beams can instantly give an interior space a lofty barn-like look. In this modern farmhouse interior the exposed beams were painted white to support the stark Scandinavian inspired color scheme. Velux skylights further emphasize the contemporary feel and provide gorgeous light for the living space below.
4) This modern farmhouse has it all: traditional farmhouse exterior moulding details, an industrial bronze metal roof, square windows, board-and-batten siding, and a gorgeous porch. However, these savvy homeowners wanted their porch to be functional as well as beautiful. A motorized Phantom retractable screen wall can be lowered at a touch of a button to provide a bug-free outdoor escape.
5 ) One of hottest trends in modern farmhouse design is the use of sliding barn doors in the interior of the home. Here, instead of using barn doors to divide rooms, these Masonite Lincoln Park molded interior doors can easily expose or hide a secret built-in storage unit. An exposed brick wall, expansive windows, and industrial lighting further authenticate this modern farmhouse look.
6) This mid-century inspired farmhouse has high ceilings, tongue-and-groove pickle finished walls, and a very modern take on the traditional wood stove. Breathtaking Cherry TruStile modern collection doors support the farmhouse aesthetic due to their size and texture, but in a less literal way than sliding barn doors. Hefty bronze door hardware bridges the gap between contemporary and rustic.
7) This floating staircase with cable railing is the perfect modern urban centerpiece to this farmhouse’s open floorplan. Cable rails bring a barn-like utilitarian feel into the home, and their low-profile simplicity fits in well with modern style.
8) Inset shaker style cabinetry fits well into almost any architectural genre. Its simple profile lends itself perfectly to modern design, while it’s classic style bolsters the farmhouse narrative. This Starmark modern farmhouse kitchen is accented with a painted brick wall, modern patio doors, and oversize commercial lighting.
9) Distinctive contrasts between light and dark finishes are often paramount to quintessential modern farmhouse design. This principle was beautifully executed on this Cooper Preassembled Staircase. Sapele treads, handrail, and box newel accents were stained dark to give contrast to the painted white risers, stringers, newels, balusters, and wall finishes. Other significant modern farmhouse touches that make this space a success include the shiplap wall treatments, exposed reclaimed wood beams, and mid-century style furniture.
10) This space demonstrates that stark color contrasts are not required to achieve the modern farmhouse aesthetic. Here, barn-like architectural proportions and details are juxtaposed with modern finishes and a neutral color palette. Barì Custom Cabinetry steals the show with gorgeous contemporary built-in storage units. No living room is complete without a heart-pounding entertainment center, our Home Genius team set up a 4K UHD home theater display with a Sonos Playbar and all the bells and whistles.
11) Finally, here is another example of the very-popular sliding barn door trend. Horner Millwork is meeting the demand for sliding barn doors by now offering a wide variety Renin barn doors and hardware kits in stock. This k-style barn door in subtle silver oak is a simple way to transform an ordinary space into farmhouse chic.